Last month I teamed up with Amanda M. Leftwich, founder of mindfulinlis, for our first-ever collaborative program, For the Good of the Order. The event was created in observance of Mental Health Awareness Month, and offered an intentional space for library employees to make time to slow down and consider and apply best practices of mental health and/or emotional hygiene.
Each Wednesday in May at 12:15PM EST, we met on Instagram for a short live event, which included a short reflection and mindful practice. Here is a short recap of our meetings – the links take you to the Instagram lives:
- May 5: “Be Away – Slow Down!“ (intro sound bowl practice)
- Renewers Resource: “Slow librarianship” (Farkas, 2021)
- May 12: “Do Not Work in Urgency” (sound bowl practice)
- Renewers Resource: “Contemplating library instruction: Integrating contemplative practices in a mid-size academic library” (Duffy, Rose-Wiles, & Loesch, 2021)
- May 19: “Honor Your Emotions” (box breathing practice)
- Renewers Resource: “How to identify your feelings iwth a wheel of emotions – and why you should” (Astorino, 2020)
- May 26: “On Self-Compassion” (body scan practice)
mindfulinlis also shared helpful resources after each event – Review Amanda’s resources.
Thanks for joining us last month!